Arriving on Waiheke:
Unfortunately it was clouded over when we arrived but at least it wasn't raining.
Matthew and I navigated ourselves quite well back in December using the hop-on-hop-off bus. So that's what we did. While we were tasting some NZ wine the previous night Hiroko and I made a plan and marked places to visit for the day. Our first choice was to visit MUDBRICK Vineyard. They had fantastic reviews and it looked very close from Matiatia Wharf where we got off the ferry.
We took a stroll along this beautiful Kiwi walkway to get to the bus stop.
We spotted a Tui which is native to NZ - such a beautiful looking bird and it sounds amazing.
We somehow ended up walking quite a long distance to catch the bus. We tried to take a shortcut so that we didn't have to go around the whole Island before getting to our first stop. Even so due to their one way only routing and unpunctuality it took way longer than planned before we did our first wine tasting.
Finally! We got off at this bus stop - super view of Rangitoto Island:
Lucky all the kids were very happy just walking. We still had to walk between the vines to get to the vineyard.
It was such a stunning location and the restaurant was just beautiful. We started off sampling their wines (while all the kids sat outside on a bench with iPhones...). I think I was so dehydrated from all the walking the wine went straight to my head!
By the time we got a table on the restaurant side it was almost lunch time. So we bought a bottle to share and enjoyed delicious food.
With a couple of glasses of wine we were all smiling :) :) :)
And crazy rolly-pollying down the hill!
I am getting good at taking kids jump shots :)
We wasted our precious time by using the hop-on-hop-off bus. It is ok if you are only visiting one or two wineries in a day like we did last time but if you plan to visit more than 2 in different locations on the Island, it takes too long just waiting and being on the bus. I think next time we will hire a mini van or a taxi.
The olive oil tasting was interesting - we ended up buying a sample bottle set each.
Another spot on the Island I wanted to take the kids and the Kobayashi family was Oneroa Bay. We heard that they serve the best pizzas on the Island, from a little minivan with an open fire pizza oven on the beach!
The kids had lots of fun while we waited for the food.
Some delicious pizzas for the kids, calzones and kebabs for the adults. Finger licking good!!! We are definitely going back when we visit the Island again.
Then the kids were treated with some gelato which was produced by a lady who almost won on the famous TV show- MasterChef NZ.
This wasn't the end of our fun day. Our last stop was at the Waiheke Wine Centre which has the largest selection of Waiheke wines. We could taste 32 wines from Waiheke!!! Including the free ones I think I tasted 8 different wines there.
We timed it perfectly to catch the ferry back to Auckland. By the time we left it was starting to get quite cold.
I feel bad the bus on the Island didn't work out too well this time for us. We could have visited more wineries. But still I think we all enjoyed our big day out and for sure we are going to go back again!

No comments:
Post a Comment