Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Joya no Kane 2013

I like experiencing Japanese customs and traditions. And I would love our kids to know lots of them as they grow up. Joya no Kane is one of the traditions we participate in when we are in Japan on New Year's Eve. To be honest until we bought the house just across from this temple I have never done one. Our family used to go to the shrine instead (I am not sure why that was the case - my family is non religious).

The bells are rung 108 times as according to Buddhism it is said that man has 108 troublesome desires, and by hearing the bells toll 108 times people can rid themselves of such desires at the end of the year.

We went over with our next door neighbours the Umeda family. I was very surprised to see their little ones were still very awake. Our ones of course were all fast asleep.

We were one of the first ones to be there so we didn't have to queue up long. It was an extremely cold night...





This poor guy was sitting on the cold floor counting how many times the bell has been rung by putting stones into a hole.

    

Mei did a good gong all by herself!



Matthew was there too!



When my turn was over I was approached by a familiar face. He was in my primary school class! After 30 something years he could still recognise me. I have seen his mother every now and then in the shopping malls over the last couple of years and knew his sister was in Singapore. So I asked him about her and she happened to be at the Temple too. Their family holds their ancestors tomb in this Temple so they gather inside the Temple at the end of the year. We were invited to be part of the actual chanting and were offered special drinks etc.

I had a good chat with her and found out she lives very close to us in Singapore and has a boy who is the same age as Oliver. It was such a strange reunion but I instantly made another mummy friend in Singapore :)

No comments:

Post a Comment