Friday, May 22, 2015

Spain - Casa Batllo, Casa Mila and Cathedral

We started the next morning at La Boqueria again. I really wish we lived close to a market like this to get fresh food everyday.


We definitely needed some strong coffee after dealing with some jet lagged kids during the night. 


Trying some churros:


Matthew got a bacon & potato dish - yuummmm!


From there we went shop hunting. Just because I wanted to get some bargain priced clothing. Last time we were there we were right in the Summer bargain season and everything was dead cheap!!! This time we were too early and I didn't really find anything reasonably priced.
(If you are interested in our last Barcelona trip in 2010, you can read my blog posts here on Brunei Roses).

After a long walk we managed to find this place - my favourite Spanish clothing brand Desigual Outlet shop. My wonderful husband gave me lots of money to spend and took all the kids to a cafe so I could spend an entire hour or so by myself. I bought quite a lot of things...Thank you Matthew I love you so much!


The kids had enough of sitting down so we wandered around the streets towards the main street. We happen to find this little square surrounded by residential buildings. Later we found out it is an old water tower called "Jardines de la Torre de las Aguas" It was a very quiet nice little spot (until our kids got there...)


In the afternoon we visited a couple of MUST see places. First Casa Batllo. Super famous Antoni Gaudi's masterpiece. We thought about going inside but having little kids (especially uncontrollable Luca) we decided to leave it for the next visit. It was still a very interesting building to admire from outside. 


The next place was Casa Mila or La Pedorera. Also built by Gaudi between 1906-1912. The building is famous for its undulating stone facade and twisting wrought iron balconies. Some structural innovations are a self-supporting stone front and column and the underground garage. This one we tried to go inside but the queue was way too long with three kids! 
Oh well... we will try next time. 


We walked a few blocks back and decided to treat the kids with some Spanish McDonalds! We actually forgot to give them lunch and they were starving!! 
Can you see where we were sitting? Right opposite Casa Batlllo! It must be one of the best views you can get from any McDonalds around the world. 




Matthew and I love walking and our kids can walk miles. Even in the later afternoon we were still walking. We visited the Gothic area to admire more of the beautiful architecture. 


Lovely little alleys:


Then we ended up at Barcelona Cathedral - The Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia, which was constructed between the 13-15th centuries. 








I think we walked enough to deserve some nice chilled beer and tapas. Happy kids, lovely city, great food. What else do you need!?

No comments:

Post a Comment