It took a while for them to visit all 8 towers to scare the evil spirits away before starting. The kids were very patient considering it was getting pretty hot!
Apparently there are two different forms of lion dances (The Northern Lion and The Southern Lion dances, SE Asian countries mainly adopts The Southern Lion dances) plus different coloured lions exist. I have seen red ones and yellow ones in the past. I also spotted the green ones performing on the ECP too. I wondered what the colour difference meant and looked it up online.
Here is the answer. According to Wikipedia "different colours are used to signify the age and character of the lions. The lion with white fur is considered to be the oldest of the lions, while the lion with golden yellow fur is the middle child. The black lion is considered the youngest lion, and the movement of this lion should be fast like a young child or a headstrong teenager. The colours may also represent the character of the lion, the golden lion represents liveliness, the red lion courage, and the green lion friendship.
We also saw this dragon dance/performance for the first time. It was excellent! Great momentum and some tricky movements throughout the performance. In Chinese culture, the dragons are believed to bring good luck to people so the longer the dragon in the dance, the more luck it will bring to the community. It is also believed that the dragons possess qualities such as great power, dignity, wisdom and auspiciousness. Guess what!? I am a dragon myself!
Such a wonderful way to experience a different culture! I am sure everyone has received lots of good luck from the excellent performances :)









No comments:
Post a Comment