Monday, April 15, 2013

School lunch

When I was a kid I hated school lunch. In the Japanese school lunch system you don't get to choose, you just have to eat what they serve you. During my time we couldn't even leave anything on the plate, you MUST eat everything. I still remember I struggled so many times and semi-crying with food on the plate even though others have started the afternoon classes :(

As a mother of two, I cannot ask for any better system. The school provides a monthly menu which is drawn up by nutritionists. They honestly look very good! For example today they had 1) pan fried pork with onion and green pepper 2) a chinese dumpling/gyoza 3) boiled Japanese spinach 4) caramelized sweet potato 5) rice.

At the kindy they don't force the kids to finish all the meals like in my time. We have a parent-teacher note book and one of the sections is about school lunch. Both Oliver and Luca struggled for the first few days but now all I get for both are "All eaten" plus second servings of rice!

In addition, I like the fact that they prepare and clean up with their teachers and friends.

What a fantastic system! I love it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment